Wednesday, October 2, 2013

For the Love of the Guru 8

That morning, Maximilian sat in the back seat of the cardinal's car, the cardinal sat next to him. Father Lorenzo was in the driver's seat. They were heading for Ong Manor, the residence of Eric Ong.

It was huge and awe-inspiring. Even those who had been there before were still daunted by the vast Victorian-style structure upon each visit. As the car drove past the great gate, Maximilian huddled himself back in his seat, nervous. "I don't know what to say to him," he murmured.

The cardinal smiled. "Just be yourself," he said.

"That's a challenge," said Maximilian. "For four years I've been denying who I was and now I'm not sure if I should put up a facade or-"

"Just let go."

The car stopped at the main entrance of the building and the cardinal alighted first. Maximilian remained inside as the cardinal climbed the steps to the main door. Out of the door stepped Eric, who shook hands with the cardinal. Without further hesitation, Maximilian stepped out and climbed the steps to meet his father.

Eric wasted no time throwing his arms around his son. Both father and son burst into tears at the reunion.

"You stupid boy!," Eric sobbed. "You stupid, stupid boy! Don't you ever leave me again!"

Maximilian held his father tight. "I won't, dad," he said, also sobbing. "I'm home."

Out came his mother and she, too, put her arms around her son. Following her were Maximilian's brothers and sister.

At the end of the day, the cardinal returned to his office after a happy reunion and caught sight of the gun lying on his desk. Apparently, they had forgotten all about it. Oh silly me. he thought.

Taking the gun to the garden behind the chancery, he threw it into the Cagayan River.

No comments:

Post a Comment